Thursday 13 October 2016

Sweet 2016, Part 8: Linzer Torte

September's cake dome, Part 8,  is a celebration of home baked beauties. Starting with the lovely Linzer torte (a raspberry filled pie which could just as easily be a cherry or apple variation), we also have a mini chocolate lined pie crust filled with plums or berries, a strawberry shortcake biscuit peeking out from behind and an almond cake for one drizzled with chocolate, topped with an irresistible strawberry.

Here's how I made mine:
As always, it's a matter of preparation and prepping of each individual piece based on the pattern. Even though it's my pattern, I still mark out all the shapes to keep in control of what's going on. The image you see below is a reversed copy of the pattern which allows me to use fusible directly instead of creating templates and flipping them over. 
After I've selected my fabrics and ironed down my fusible which acts as the template, I line up all the fabric shapes in groups for placement over the pattern accurately. 
Pinning everything in place over the pattern to make sure my pieces don't 'grow'
Gluing the layers down
with the pie filling added, looks like this
 As it happens, I made two pies and this is the first one I made, the fabric I used matches the Raspberry Charlotte fabric from the earlier block which I really liked, but I decided to donate this applique motif for a cushion for a friend who simply loves Linzer Torte! I made the final one you see in the finished images from slightly darker fabrics, which I prefer on my wall hanging.

This was originally a plum tart, but when I found a scrap of fabric printed with berries, I couldn't resist and changed my tart to a custard and berry one. And, why not? Make and change each delicacy to suit you ..and your stash!
The biscuit peeking through is a strawberry shortcake biscuit. These were everywhere when my DD was a little girl, over 30 years ago now, and I popped one in just for fun :)

And this is where we are up to, quilt wise.





'Sweet 2016' is my current Mystery Applique BOM
It's just $3.95 per month
Delivered digitally, to your email inbox each month


Understanding the pattern release schedule: anyone can join Sweet 2016 at any time and when they do, they will receive a new block each month from that point onward. The day they receive each new block will depend on the date they signed up and made their first payment. Everyone who starts Sweet 2016, starts at the beginning, Part 1. Specific blocks cannot be purchased out of turn.

Whenever you choose to start this BOM, be sure to keep us updated on your progress by sharing your work over in our Sweet 2016 BOM Facebook Group, see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...