Friday 16 November 2012

Banksia, details


As with every month, it always starts with the colours. I could have gone several ways with Banksia as there are quite a few varieties, and I opted for hot pink, using plain, batik and my own hand dye fabric.


The batik was a really great fabric to use as a background for the Banksia head; it appears that there are twice as many 'seeds' thanks to the background fabric, I love this effortless depth. If you don't have a background fabric that creates this, you can create it yourself by highlighting around your applique seeds with a pencil in a lighter tone to your seed fabric and highlighting around each seed individually. Then, heat set to make permanent.


lots of tiny seeds to cut


Preparation and patience are really important this month; both blocks have the potential to be really fiddly and time consuming. I opted for needle turn edges... and it really tested my patience!


but I love the sharp lines and wouldn't have it any other way


...progress...


the name scroll is coming, I'm still working on it!





This block is from Part 10
of my free 2012 Mystery BOM Forget Me Not

Yes, anyone can join in:
You can download this month's block via my website or my Yahoo Bom Group 

2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of Banksia before, so it sent me scurrying to Wikipedia to learn more. I love that the block is as interesting as it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your detailed instructions with each block. I have learned so much from your blog, and appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...